Have you ever craved a warm slice of apple pie fresh from the oven? The golden crust, the sweet aroma, and the tangy, spiced apples… it’s hard to resist! Today, I’m sharing my favorite recipe for homemade apple pie that is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings. So let’s get baking!
To make the perfect apple pie, you will need the following ingredients:
– 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup ice water
– 6 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
– ¾ cup granulated sugar
– ¼ cup all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
– 1 egg, beaten
– 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
Now that we have all our ingredients ready, let’s dive into the recipe!
1. Start by preparing the crust. In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the cold cubed butter and using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together. Divide the dough into two equal portions, shape into discs, and wrap them in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the dough discs into a circle that is about 12 inches in diameter. Carefully transfer it to a 9-inch pie dish and press it gently into the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Toss until the apples are well coated. Pour the apple mixture into the prepared pie crust, making sure to distribute them evenly.
4. Roll out the second dough disc into a circle slightly larger than the pie dish. You can get creative and make a lattice crust or simply place the whole dough circle over the apples. Press the edges of the pie crust together to seal and trim any excess.
5. Brush the top crust with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar. This will give your pie a beautiful golden brown color and a sweet crunch.
6. Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
7. Once baked, allow the pie to cool for at least 2 hours before serving. This will ensure that the filling sets properly.
8. Serve your delicious apple pie warm or at room temperature, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. Get ready to indulge in the perfect combination of flavors and textures!
This homemade apple pie recipe is sure to impress your family and friends. The buttery crust, tender apples, and warm spices create a heavenly aroma that will fill your home. Don’t be surprised if everyone asks for seconds!